Wednesday, September 30, 2015

End of Summer Update







Kisvigany Gypsy Village- Children wearing their new dresses made by CCCM Sewing klatch


Hello from Mykachevo, Ukraine! Once again, it's that time of year when I am preparing for winter to come. I had my throw rugs cleaned today and turned on my heat last night for the first time this fall. People are stocking up on potatoes and getting their houses in order for another winter. It's become such a way of life for me. It's hard to believe I was once a California girl :)

I praise God for the amazing things He has done in the last three months. As usual, time flew by. This summer there was a lot of traveling, with bouts of minor colds. In spite of my weakness, in God's strength I was able to teach women's Bible studies regularly in three different Gyspy villages and help Notika with the children's programs in five different villages. Most of all, I am amazed at the surprises and blessings the Lord allowed me to witness and be a part of. As of this week, I have also been invited to the Gypsy Camp in Mykachevo to take a tour with one of the pastors and talk about ministry opportunities. I am praying for God's will. This is a huge camp, but there are other ministries serving there. I want to go where there is a need. As of this month I will be teaching a Bible study in Kyklya, which is part of  Calvary Chapel in Beregova. This is in the Hungarian region of Ukraine which is about 40 minutes from Mykachevo. It's a long, windy, bumpy dirt road up to the village of Kyklya where this precious group meets to study the Bible.

In July, we were able to distribute most of the dresses and shorts that were made by the Sewing Klatch at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa. We are so thankful for this blessing. The clothing went to three different gypsy camps and a Muslim family at a refugee camp here in Mykachevo. We still have a few dresses left over, which was surprising, but we will distribute them next spring when the weather warms up again.

Pavshyno Gypsy Village- New dresses. Photos by Esther Brown

In August, I had an amazing gift from the Lord. I was asked by Mike and Theresa Howard from Calvary Chapel Harrogate, England to help at Creation Fest in the UK. It has been a dream of mine to go to the Festival. I had the privilege of serving in the Pavilion, and since they were in need of helpers, I got a 2 minute training on filming with professional cameras and spent the entire week filming seminars. I was blessed!!!! The teaching, evangelism, worship, concerts, youth ministries and fellowship were all so encouraging for me. The Lord knew what I needed to get a fresh fire started in my heart by witnessing all that He was doing in the UK. I am so thankful for having been able to go and serve there. What a privilege!

After Creation Fest, I was able to spend a few days in Pocklington, England with my dear friends Toni and Debbie Iordache. Debbie and I were missionaries/ roommates in Romania 20 years ago and spent many hours together changing orphan babies' diapers in the state hospital. Toni had been a student from Romania at the Bible school in Austria when I served in 1993-1994. This was also another huge gift from the Lord to be able to spend time with such special friends. 

Our AV team at the Creation Fest Pavilion- Max, Terry, Me, Theresa and Mike

Afternoon Tea- that's Debbie on the right

When I returned to Budapest from the UK (that's the best airport for me to fly out of) , it was time to apply for my new temporary residency to Ukraine. I spent several days in Budapest going through the visa process, but then I was also able to stop in Debrecen on my way back to Ukraine, and visit Pastor Bodi and his family. Their church does ministry in Ukraine with a Gypsy Village and we talked about opportunities for me to be involved in the future. This is really exciting for me and I hope it will work out according to God's will. 

Before returning to Ukraine I was also able to make the final payment on the van I put a deposit on, and get all of the documents in order. Pastor Jozsi from Calvary Chapel Beregova and his wife Daniela, helped me with all of the details and paperwork. Praise God! I was able to return to Ukraine in my very own van! Thank you Jesus! It has been such a huge blessing in the short time I've had it. Getting to and from the villages is so much easier now and our schedules are much more flexible. The van still needs a little work, but that will be taken care of this week. The roads here are really bad. I mean...really, really bad. I am having the shocks replaced so they will be up for the task. Thank you to all of you who prayed and helped me financially in purchasing this van. It was a big decision for me to take on this responsibility, but it is definitely a need at this point in time.



In August we had our Calvary Chapel West Ukrainian Conference in Lviv. It was such a special time. It was much more intimate than most conferences usually are, and the Lord spoke to our hearts. He gave us the verses from Habakkuk 3: 17- 19  and it was a great encouragement for me and many others. Following the conference, I needed to go to Ternopil to pick up my new 1 year temporary residency. This was also a huge blessing, as I was able to visit my friends from CC Ternopil where I served for 7 years. I was asked to give my testimony as a missionary at the Missions Training Program and also to share at the Women's Bible study. At the Women's study, I spoke on the verses from Habakkuk. No matter what our disappointments, distractions or shattered dreams, the Lord will always be our strength and our joy.

"Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
though the labor of the olive may fail, 
and the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls-
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The LORD God is my strength;
He will make my feet like deer's feet, 
And He will make me walk on my high hills." 
Habakkuk 3: 17- 19

Missions Training Program

Women's Bible Study CC Ternopil
Praise the Lord, my brother Dana's eye surgery went really well. We are still waiting for a CT scan to reveal if any cancer has spread, but he is recovering well. Thank you so much for your prayers!

Please pray for the Women's  Bible studies in the Gypsy villages and for the Bible study in Kyklya. That I would be sensitive to the Holy Spirit in all spiritual wisdom and understanding. 

Please pray for ministry opportunities with CC Beregova and CC Debrecen. I want to be available to help when there is a need. Please also pray for wisdom about ministry opportunities in the Mykachevo Gypsy Camp. 

Please pray for Notika, who I serve with in the Gypsy villages, for financial provision and a new apartment, as she has to move this winter.

Please pray for peace in Ukraine and that many will come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment